Monday, November 16, 2009

Ever have a bad day?

Today was just one of those days...
It all started when Owen and I tried to leave our apartment building. I pressed the button to call the elevator and it didn't light up. I waited nonetheless in the hopes that just the bulbs had burnt out. I stood there for 5 to 10 minutes while the elevators repeatedly went up and down, passing me up every time. I was in denial. A broken elevator meant one thing. I had to carry Owen in his stroller down 9 floors to the lobby. Not a good thing for a pregnant lady. But what other choice did I have??? Luckily we made it down without incident and left for work. The subway was right on time and we made it out to Astoria with a little extra time. I decided I would stop at the bank and deposit several checks that had been hanging out in my wallet for a few days. I didn't want to take too long because I did have to pick Izzy up from preschool by 11:30, so I decided to use the ATM. Bad idea. The machine ate my checks. It said it couldn't read them and to take them back. It didn't spit them back out. I had no choice but to go in and talk to someone so my checks didn't just hang out in an ATM machine not having been deposited. I had to wait in line for a teller, who sent me to wait for her manager, who had me wait while he looked for the checks, who then had me wait while he tried to work with their new system to deposit my checks for me. All the while I'm thinking, I'm going to be late. So I called work in the hopes that Izzy's dad would be home. It's a Monday. Theater's are dark. It's his usual day off. He should be there. He's not. The only one to answer the phone is Joy, a woman that works for Michelle. She can't go get Izzy because she's not on the list of people allowed to do so. But she DID look up the phone number and let them know that I was stuck, but on my way. Finally, financial disaster averted, I run not walk, to Izzy's preschool to pick him up 20 minutes late. We get home and I feed the boys lunch. But the day is not over yet. Oh no. I decide we're going to take a trip to the babies r us and find a portacrib for Owen. He wont sleep in Abey's bed since the crib was taken down, and his napping had been terrible at work. It's been affecting his bed time at night too, so I decided I needed to fix the situation. I found one on sale at the babies r us in queens for less than $50 and it was in stock. I loaded the boys in the car and took them over there. It was NOT in stock. Not even the next cheapest was in stock. The only ones they had were well over $100. So I left empty handed. Though the boys did get a tour of all of the toys first. So at least they had a good time. Owen fell asleep in the car almost immediately, and we headed home. We were driving down Steinway, notorious for double parkers, when we come across a big van that is.... double parked! It's just stopped in the middle of the lane. So I wait my turn to go around it. I let several cars pass and when there is a window I go. Unfortunately the car approaching in the other lane didn't like this and stepped on the gas. I guess he thought he could squeeze through me and the cars parked on the other side of the road all in the space of one lane. Anyway, I turned a bit to adjust so he wouldn't hit me and I hear "BAM"! I over adjusted. Luckily it was only my side mirror that hit the van's side mirror. But I pulled over in front of the van to make sure. I run back to the car and realize there are people in the van. Cops to be more precise. Cops in an unmarked car. I told them I was sorry and I wanted to make sure their car was okay. Luckily they just laughed it off, straightened their mirror and said have a good day. A good day. Really. Why didn't I think of that?

3 comments:

becca said...

oh man!!! I hope you get to just go home and relax after that day. I can't believe there were cops in the car!

Amanda W. said...

Did you ask if they were going to write themselves a ticket for double parking?

I hope the rest of your day went better :)

Marne said...

WOW. you hit a parked cop car...that one wins Amanda. I give you the worst day award. You can have it. May you be blessed with MANY great days. We should get together soon, it feels like forever since we've seen you. -m