Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Where is he?"

Owen and I spent last night in the Hospital. Apparently Owen thinks he can fly.
He has been so clumsy lately and has fallen down a lot. I figure we all did when we first learned to walk. But last night took the cake. Owen did not want to go to bed. He screamed for about 50 minutes. Not crying. Screaming. The kind of screaming where you know they are going to make themselves vomit. But we were resolved not to let him win. Actually, Tyson was resolved not to let him win. I wanted to go snuggle him to sleep in bed with me. I'm weak. But I wasn't going to. Tyson wouldn't let me. ;) Instead we would let him cry for about 15 minutes, go comfort him, and put him back to bed. This process was repeated 2 or 3 times. Until we heard a loud thump from the bedroom. We both ran in, me closely behind Ty. Ty got to the crib and said, "Where is he"? Owen wasn't in his crib. In fact, he was trying to stand up on the floor about 4 feet away from his crib! Tyson picked him up and we carried him into the living room. I snuggled him on the couch, where he promptly fell asleep. We couldn't find a single bump or bruise on him. We called our moms, and then the on call nurse that our insurance provides. We decided that since it was such a long fall, and because we hadn't seen how, or how hard he landed, we should take him to the ER. So we took our sleeping Owen a block to St. Lukes Roosevelt. We were taken right in, where we waited for about 2 hours. The Dr. seemed to think he was fine, but because he's so young they wanted him to stay in the hospital for observation. 8 hours from the time of the fall. 5:30am. Yuck. I stayed with him so that Tyson could get some sleep and work in the morning. He had just started a job the day before. He couldn't call in sick on his second day. So Owen slept most of the night, while I sat reading or eaves dropping on the nurses conversations. I'm exhausted. But Owen seems to be fine. I don't know how you fall 3 1/2 feet and not have a mark on you. He must fly. Anyway, it's time to rethink the crib. If he can climb out of it once, he'll certainly do it again.
Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Amanda W. said...

My parents had to pile pillows around under my crib because I escaped so often. I guess it was either that or barbed wire. :D