Thursday, October 23, 2008

strangers in the park

We went for a walk through Central Park on Saturday with Tyson's mother and Sister. (they were visiting). We showed them all of our usual stops; the playground at the south end, the Carousel, The Mall, Bethesda Fountain (spelling?), and Tyson's new favorite... the boat pond! It was a breezy day, so there were several boats out on the pond. We sat in the sun and watched them for a while. Owen was getting a little fussy, so I decided to walk around with him and show him some of the statues there. The big Alice in Wonderland statue is there, as well as a Hans Christian Anderson statue. There is story telling at that one on Saturdays. I took him to see The Hans statue. It's a big man holding an open book, reading out loud. The book is The Ugly Duckling. There is a little duck on the ground beside him. I sat Owen on the ground by the Duck. He loved it. He pulled himself up on it, patted it, and laughed. Then I picked him up and put him in the lap of the statue. He played with the book, banging his hand on it over and over, listening to the noise the metal made. Still happy. Then I stood him up facing the statue thinking that he would like to touch the rest of it. Instead he slowly panned up until he was looking straight up at the face of Hans. He was almost falling over backward his head was so far back. Then it happened. He started screaming! He was just Terrified! He looked up with total fear in his eyes and just screamed! It was so sad, and so funny all at the same time.

On a more depressing note... I have a terrible contagious disease....
I somehow got hand foot and mouth disease, when none of the kids I'm usually around seem to have it! It's terrible. I now have emense pitty for any child that has contracted this virus. My mouth is covered in sores... the roof of my mouth, the insides of my cheeks, my tounge, and my lips. It is so painful sometimes that it makes my whole face and head throb. Today I also discovered the rash on my hands. Nothing on my feet yet, but it has become clear that I indeed have hand foot and mouth. I started medicine last night, so I should clear up in the next 5 days... but until then I live in fear that I'm going to accidentally give this to Owen. Tyson has finally gotten work through a temp agency, but it seems bitter sweet at this point. It would be so convenient to have him with Owen so I don't have to touch him so much. Oh well. I just keep washing my hands over and over. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: